Students MUST have access to a high speed internet connection (at least 10 Mbps download speed). If you don’t know what your internet speed is, click here to test it.
In response to COVID-19-related campus closures, Austin Community College now provides free, secure drive-up WiFi to students and employees at ALL campus locations. All who are on-campus are required to practice social distancing, wear a facial covering when around others, and continue to take CDC precautions. WiFi can be accessed from the parking lots seven days a week, 7 am to 11 pm.
How to Connect:
You can log in using the same WiFi username and password you would typically use to access WiFi on-campus. Please view the Wireless Connection Instructions for your device on ACC’s website.
- The Windows 10/11 operating system. Current ACC students are eligible to receive a free product key for Windows 10/11.
- Microsoft Office applications. Current ACC students are eligible to receive free access to Microsoft Office 365.
- The student version CAD program your course uses. Current A&E CAD students are eligible to install all applications used in the department for free. Guides to installing your free software are posted under the Software > CAD Software section of this website.
- Some courses have additional software requirements – please check with your instructor for applications specifically required for your course.
- Students must have a computer with the Windows 10/11 operating system capable of running the desktop student version of the CAD programs used in our courses. Instructions for checking your personal computer’s system specifications, as well as a full list of all the software used by our department and the respective system requirements can be found here. If you do not have a computer capable of running Windows 10/11 and the applications previously linked, you may choose to purchase a computer. If you choose to purchase a computer, we recommend you check the requirements for the most demanding application you expect to run and increase those requirements by a factor of ~20% as a baseline to spec out your new computer.
- Online meetings require a computer to have a web camera with audio capabilities (or telephone for audio).
- Students also need a standard mouse with a scroll wheel to effectively work in the CAD programs used in our courses. This includes laptops because track pads are just not conducive to working in CAD software.
- We strongly recommend a dual-monitor display setup.
- CAD applications used in our courses only run on the Windows 10/11 operating system.
- Mac users with the M1 chipset are NOT currently supported to run Windows 10/11 or required CAD applications.
- CAD applications used in our courses will NOT run on a Chromebook.