Students MUST have access to a high speed internet connection (at least 10 Mbps download speed). If you don’t know what your internet speed is, click here to test it.
In response to COVID-19-related campus closures, Austin Community College now provides free, secure drive-up WiFi to students and employees at ALL campus locations. All who are on-campus are required to practice social distancing, wear a facial covering when around others, and continue to take CDC precautions. WiFi can be accessed from the parking lots seven days a week, 7 am to 11 pm.
How to Connect:
You can log in using the same WiFi username and password you would typically use to access WiFi on-campus. Please view the Wireless Connection Instructions for your device on ACC’s website.
- The Windows 10 operating system. Current ACC students are eligible to receive a free product key for Windows 10 (see instructions here).
- Microsoft Office applications. Current ACC students are eligible to receive free access to Microsoft Office 365 (see instructions here).
- The student version CAD program your course uses. Current A&E CAD students are eligible to install all applications used in the department for free. Guides to installing your free software are posted under the Software > CAD Software section of this website.
- Some courses have additional software requirements – please check with your instructor for applications specifically required for your course.
- Students must have a computer with the Windows 10 operating system capable of running the desktop student version of the CAD programs used in our courses. Instructions for checking your personal computer’s system specifications, as well as a full list of all the software used by our department and the respective system requirements can be found here. If you do not have a computer capable of running Windows 10 and the applications previously linked, you may choose to:
- Request a loaner laptop available through ACC using the information in the Technology Request section below, OR…
- Purchase a computer. If you choose to purchase a computer, we recommend you check the requirements for the most demanding application you expect to run and increase those requirements by a factor of ~20% as a baseline to spec out your new computer.
- Online meetings require a computer to have a web camera with audio capabilities (or telephone for audio).
- Students also need a standard mouse with a scroll wheel to effectively work in the CAD programs used in our courses. This includes laptops because track pads are just not conducive to working in CAD software.
- We strongly recommend a dual-monitor display setup.
- CAD applications used in our courses only run on the Windows operating system.
- CAD applications used in our courses will NOT run on a Chromebook.
- Mac users with an Intel processor will need either Apple Boot Camp or Parallels Desktop installed to run required CAD applications.
- Mac users with the M1 chipset will not be able to run Windows or required CAD applications.
Before filling out the A&E CAD Technology Request form below, please be sure you have completed the following:
- You have determine if your computer meets the minimum system requirements for the courses you are taking.
- You have contacted the A&E CAD Support Team to get assistance installing your required application(s).
- This includes running Apple Boot Camp or Parallels Desktop on your Mac.
Please click the button to the right to request a laptop for use in one of our courses.
PLEASE NOTE: We have a limited number of available laptops to loan to students and they will be distributed in the order in which the requests are received after a justified need is determined.