Technology Requirements for Online Classes
- Students MUST have access to a high speed internet connection (at least 10 Mbps download speed).
- If you don’t know what your internet speed is, click here to test.
In response to COVID-19-related campus closures, Austin Community College now provides free, secure drive-up WiFi to students and employees at ALL campus locations. All who are on-campus are required to practice social distancing, wear a facial covering when around others, and continue to take CDC precautions. WiFi can be accessed from the parking lots seven days a week, 7 am to 11 pm.
How to Log In:
You can log in using the same WiFi username and password you would typically use to access WiFi on-campus. Please view Wireless Connection Instructions on ACC’s website.
Computer Hardware Requirements:
- Students must have a computer with the Windows 10 operating system that can run the desktop student version of the CAD programs used in our courses.
- System requirements can be found below:
- Instructions for checking your personal computer’s system specifications, as well as a full list of all the software used by our department and the respective system requirements can be found here.
- Online meetings require a computer to have a web camera with audio capabilities (or telephone for audio).
- Students also need a standard mouse with a scroll wheel to effectively work in the CAD programs used in our courses. This includes laptops because track pads are just not conducive to working in CAD software.
- The CAD programs used in our courses only run on the Windows operating system.
- They will not run on a Chromebook.
- Mac users will need either Apple Boot Camp or Parallels Desktop installed to run the required CAD program.
- A free student version of the CAD program your course uses can be downloaded by joining the Autodesk Student Community.
- More information about the educational downloads can be found here .
- A dual monitor display setup is strongly recommended.
Before filling out the A&E CAD Technology Request form below, please be sure you have completed the following:
- You have determine if your computer meets the minimum system requirements for the courses you are taking.
- You have contacted the A&E CAD Support Team to get assistance installing your required application(s).
- This includes running Apple Boot Camp or Parallels Desktop on your Mac.
We have a limited number of available laptops to loan to students and they will be distributed in the order in which the requests are received after a justified need is determined.
Please click one of the buttons below to request a laptop for use in one of our courses.