This program is intended for students pursuing careers in the field of Civil CAD Drafting. Civil drafters create drawings for the civil engineering industry, including areas of land development, transportation, public works, environmental, landscaping, surveying, design visualization and many others. Students may also use the training offered in the Civil CAD Specialization to prepare for transfer to a university program. Students who choose the Civil CAD Specialization career track are often employed by Civil Engineering firms, Surveying companies and Government agencies. The Civil CAD curriculum emphasizes the utilization of current industry standard software, with AutoCAD Civil 3D as the primary software. Additional CAD software used in this program include: Autodesk Infrastructure Design Suite, AutoCAD, 3DS Max Design, Infraworks, Storm & Sanitary Analysis, Impression, E-ON VUE Infinite and Bentley Microstation.
Autodesk Infrastructure Design Suite (featuring Civil 3D) is utilized in the Civil CAD curriculum to plan, design, document & visualize civil engineering student design projects.
E-ON Software VUE Infinite is utilized in the Civil CAD curriculum to create stunning & realistic 3D renderings of student design projects.
At the completion of the Associate of Applied Science Degree with a Civil CAD Specialization, students will be able to:
- Utilize CAD software to plan and prepare construction documents and technical graphics appropriate to the civil engineering industry
- Operate AEC (Architecture/Engineering/Construction) software as applicable to civil drafting and design processes
- Demonstrate knowledge of civil drafting and design; and familiarity with land development codes and design criteria
- Differentiate between various infrastructure drawing types and determine their appropriate uses in civil engineering projects
- Prepare illustrations, visualizations and animations appropriate to the civil engineering industry
- Perform analysis, calculations and prepare drawings appropriate to storm water management.
Students are strongly encouraged to meet with the A&E CAD department’s Civil coordinator, Jeffrey Muhammad, before pursuing this program.
Civil Degree Plan Specific Courses:
DFTG 1470 – Drafting for Stormwater Management
DFTG 2421 – Topographical Drafting
DFTG 2475 – Water and Wastewater Drafting
DFTG 2478 – Civil Illustration and Animation
GEOG 2470 – Introduction to Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
SRVY 1301 – Introduction to Surveying